According to the World Clock there are 7.7 billion people (humans) alive in the world today.
How many of them have you misunderstood today? We have many mechanisms for failing to achieve consensus.
- We receive different information
- We interpret the same information differently
- We commit new information to long-term storage at different rates, and in different ways
- Everyone’s long term storage is different
- We would make different estimates about the future, even if we started from the same information base
I misunderstand even the people closest to me on a daily basis. Even when my wife and I receive significant amounts of the same information every day, the above factors interfere with our ability to achieve consensus on the meaning of much of that.
How many people have I misunderstood today? About 7.7 billion.